and talking of God in our homes so that the next generation knows God and the works He has done.
What happened to the next generation – even after the previous one knew God and experienced His great works?
Judges 2:10 “When all that generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation arose after them who did not know the Lord nor the work which He had done for Israel.”
What did they fail to do?
Deuteronomy 6:7 “You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up…”
The next generation did NOT know God because the people did not TALK about God and remember/reflect on His mighty works.
As parents we are to be intentional to train our children and to talk about God and the things He has and is doing in our lives.
Cultivate Video: Talking of God in Our Homes
Watch the video while you’re cooking, soaking in the tub, or watch with your spouse when the kids have gone to bed. Or, listen while driving in your car or training for your half-marathon or sitting and eating a big bag of Cheetos. (LOL. Keepin’ it real.)
Praying now as I post this that God will give you a vision of what “talking of God” in your home could look like.
In this video, you’ll hear:
- Why did the Israelites NOT know God and the things of God in just one generation after experiencing His faithfulness?
- I’m sharing from Judges, Deuteronomy 4 and 6
- What “diligently” teaching our children means
- What does “talking” in the home mean and what are practical examples of this
- Communicating a teachable heart in your home
- Giving biblical counsel to our children vs our own advice
- “What if my children are older and I feel like I’m too late in applying this information?”
- How to talk more transparently in your home
- Getting children to open up
- Practical examples for all ages
- An example of doing a devotion in Proverbs to demonstrate transparency and practical application
- Example of my own selfishness from this week and how I apologized to my husband and girls
- How our own filter (perspective) is often put used in situations and causes us to be self-centered
- Conviction- apologizing – restoration
- Silence in our homes can be a warning sign of our own wrong behaviors and what to do about it
- Talking also means sharing with confidence, trusting in God’s sovereignty
- Talking so that the next generation knows God and the things of God
Rhonda TalksotheyKnowGodandRemember ellis